ALBERT LEA UNITED METHODIST
TITLE: Director of Family Ministries
Reports to Senior Pastor
Accountable to Staff Parish Relations Committee
Send résumé and Questions to email@example.com.
Find the church on Facebook at www.fb.com/albertleachurch.
Hope for July – Early August Start date – Willing to fill earlier for the right person.
This is a ministry-enabling position that supports Albert Lea United Methodist Church’s Mission to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. Our values, in order, are caring, worship, faith-building, kids, youth, and growth in all areas. We have chosen to move from two half-time positions (children’s director and youth director) to this newly created position. Both programs have solid programming in place for building a bigger program. The church has made great progress in being outward-focused in recent years.
The Children’s Program offers Sunday morning and Wednesday night programs. Outreach events include the Easter Egg Hunt (over 300 kids attends this event), Trunk and Treat (over 500 people attend this event), and Summer Camp (Vacation Bible School). A solid group of adults are involved in the Children’s Program.
The Youth Program does many activities, including mission trips and small groups. A solid history of fundraising is in place to help support this ministry.
RELATIONSHIPS:Employees in this position are responsible to the Staff–Parish Relations Committee. Ongoing supervision is by the Pastor.
HOURS:This is a salaried position for 33 hours a week, but for the correct candidate, it can be a full-time 40-hour-a-week job. We want the correct person and can be flexible.
- Be an authentic follower of Christ who is pursuing the Lord with his/her heart, mind, and soul.
- Have a life growing in all aspects of the fruit of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control).
- Have an innovative, passionate vision for growing Albert Lea Church’s community and taking it to the next level.
- Understand that this role is a leader of leaders.
- Have a heart for achieving goals and making the impossible happen.
- Always pursue excellence.
- Have strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Be a self-starter.
- Be hard-working but love to have fun.
- Be willing to go the extra mile.
- Have the ability to create and foster an environment and sense of unity among team members.
- Be willing to perform and complete tasks, even outside of assigned area.
- Have a college degree (preferred).
- Be able to relate well to children, youth, and parents.
- Have solid planning and organizational skills.
- Have strong communication and group skills.
- Have good leadership skills.
- Be able to visualize how the youth program is part of the overall church vision.
- Have a personal relationship with God and be able to freely share faith experiences in order to help youth members develop their own spiritual relationships.
- Have an understanding of and support the teachings and principles of the United Methodist Church.
- Be the leader of leaders to build teams—not a person who does everything, but a big picture person.
- Develop and coordinate the Sunday Christian education program for children three years old through grade 12.
- Oversee the nursery program for children not in Sunday School.
- Ensure the completion of required annual training and background checks for all volunteers and staff within the ministry.
- Advocate for the involvement of children in the life ministry and mission of this congregation.
- Develop Christian curriculum, teaching strategies, and budget; purchase and maintain materials and supplies for Sunday education programs.
- Coordinate the Christmas programs and any other special children’s programs as needed.
- Recruit and train volunteer support networks needed for Sunday School and other special programs.
- Attend regular staff meetings.
- Conduct relational ministry by being actively involved with the youth and their families.
- Share the vision of the youth program with the entire community of Albert Lea.
ü Develop student discipleship ministries, including small groups.
ü Recruit, train, and nurture leaders/volunteers.
ü Plan and lead “Impact Events” with leadership team.
ü Liaise with youth council to guide direction of youth ministry.
ü Be responsible for HS/MS weekly programming.
ü Be responsible for Confirmation.
ü Plan a mission trip or camp experience each summer.
ü Raise funds for and plan all HS/MS youth programming.
ü Be responsible for all youth program communications.
ü Help other members of ALUMC staff as directed by the Senior Pastor.
ü Success will be determined by the number of MS/HS youth and adult volunteers involved in the ALUMC youth ministry.
ü Additional duties will be assigned by the Senior Pastor
Skills and requirements:
- Working knowledge of Microsoft products, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher.
- Working knowledge of using a computer to modify and edit digital pictures.
- Excellent cross-functional communication skills.